Applying for the Need-based Merit Scholarship
Need-based Merit Scholarship opportunities for new students entering Sixth & Ninth Grades for 2013/14
The Canterbury Need-based Merit Scholarship: Recipients of this award will receive one-half tuition scholarships to Canterbury. A satisfactory grade point average, student leadership involvement and a record of good citizenship must be maintained to renew the scholarship for each of the years in attendance at Canterbury. In addition, families who have qualified as need-based families may supplement the Merit Scholarship by requesting additional financial assistance through the financial aid committee. To compete in this program, parents must submit the following documents:
- Complete the merit scholarship application (application fee is waived) and select one of the qualifying test dates to sit for the merit testing. Applications are due no later than two days prior to the testing date you selected.
- Complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) in November or early December and submit it with the required fee to School and Student Services (SSS) by December 14, 2012. For all PFS application questions there is a toll free hotline available at (800) 344-8328.
- Mail to Canterbury School the following:
- A copy of your completed Parents' Financial Statement that you submitted to SSS by December 14, 2012.
- (Optional) A letter explaining any special or unusual circumstances that affect your family's ability to contribute financially.
- For those students receiving the Merit Scholarship award, copies of parents' signed 2012 Federal Income Tax Form 1040 and all schedules by April 15, 2013.
Students must meet certain academic requirements, demonstrate leadership qualities and take a qualifying test at Canterbury School on:
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Those who perform well on this test, and who have submitted the required school records and documents prior to the test, will be invited to participate in a full day class visit and interview with the Canterbury School Admission Committee at a mutually convenient time and date. Merit Scholar announcements will be made in January of 2013.
Merit applicants must submit the following documents prior to testing:
- Submit a completed merit application with a recent photo (application fee is waived)
- Provide a copy of the student's previous year's final report card
- Provide a copy of the student's most recent report card
- Provide a copy of the student's current standardized testing result reported in national percentiles and/or stanine rankings
- Submit the Family Survey
- Provide the recommendation form to your child's math and English teachers for completion: Grade Six applicant or Grade Nine applicant
- Submit the Records Release Form signed by a parent
- Applicant must complete and submit the appropriate student questionnaire: Grade Six applicant or Grade Nine applicant
Please download, print, complete, and mail or fax the above required forms to the Admission Office prior to your selected test date. For further assistance, please email or call the Admission Office at (239) 415-8945.